INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT OBERAMMERGAU
Interesting Facts About the Oberammergau Passion Play:
- Over 2,000 villagers are involved in the Passion Play, including singers, actors, musicians and technical support.
- Only people born in Oberammergau or who have lived there for at least 20 years are allowed to take part in the play.
- There are 124 speaking roles, a 65-member orchestra, 48 person chorus and hundreds of people involved in the production, including stagehands, seamstresses, firemen, auditorium attendants and more.
- Men grow their hair and beards to make them look authentic to the time.
- All costumes used for the play are handmade.
- While the play is performed in German, people from all over the world attend the performances, including those that are not of religious backgrounds; intrigued by the way the town comes together to perform this play.
- Each performance lasts approximately five hours with an interval of three hours midway.
- There is seating for 4500 spectators per show. It is anticipated that over 480,000 will attend the next play.
Fill in this form and we will send you travel suggestions